Sunday, November 4, 2012

9 Lives

As I sat on the old lady’s lap
watching her knit a tangerine shawl
I thought I should probably tell her
that I'll be dead by tomorrow morning.

But I start stu..tu..tu...tutering
every time I try to tell her
that I've li..li..li...lived up all my 9 lives.

Death baffles me
even though we’re no strangers.

She’d be so disappointed...

she knits and knits
and I stretch longer and longer
so serene,
light,
cozy,
at ease
and I stop stuttering
thinking about how I'll die the next morning
it satisfies me...

I purr and she knits
I watch her making loops with yarn
softly
playfully around her finger
and we’re both at peace.

I never thought leaving could feel so right.

a bag of marbles shine in the yellow warm light of the fire.
one of them catches my eye.
It’s green...
reminds me of some life I lived,
6 lives ago.

A thought crosses my mind:
jumping around frantically
trying to catch the shiny, glassy, green eye on the floor...
but I won’t
I’m too dead to care.

Tumbling down on the tangerine shawl
tangled...
I wrap it around myself
she stops knitting
letting her crooked fingers rest on her knees
we both rest
shiny eyes on the floor
fuzzy warm bed
and someone who cares...

I purr with content
heavy
old
bundled up
ready...

then,
all gets da..da..da...dark...
hushed
and hazy
and I wake up
feeling old
looking young
with fake glassy shiny green eyes.

I look for the old crooked fingers
that never stop
and find her,
resting her oldness
in the stench of a dead cat
wrapped in a tangerine shawl...

we both stumble down into a heaven,
where I sc..c...cratch my eyes out
and some old lady weaves them
into a tale of tangerine dreams...

March 04, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Copied from Multiply:

    snowleapord wrote on Mar 4, '11
    I just love your work, Negin. You know where my heart strings are.

    cosmicfuguestate wrote on Mar 4, '11
    Most awesome! I love it!!!

    emeraldmoon wrote on Mar 5, '11
    thank you thank you! you're too kind :)

    mysticmaze wrote on Mar 5, '11
    How do you create a poem of death that causes a smile???

    Wow... I loved this!

    mysticmaze wrote on Mar 5, '11
    Did you see these photos? Mindy is one of our health team from multiply that just came back from Shiraz...

    http://cosmicfuguestate.multiply.com/photos/album/15

    emeraldmoon wrote on Mar 6, '11
    Thanks Nancy, i'm glad you liked it ;) i just saw the pictures. i really wish i could go with them. I love Shiraz, beautiful city!

    simphanee wrote on Mar 7, '11, edited on Mar 7, '11
    Wow! That was truly an adventure!

    It is exciting to read your work, I hang on the edge of each line
    with childlike thrill, knowing I can't anticipate
    your next expression of imagination! So wild!
    Stunning! I love it!

    simphanee wrote on Mar 7, '11
    mysticmaze said
    How do you create a poem of death that causes a smile???

    Wow... I loved this!
    LOL!

    emeraldmoon wrote on Mar 8, '11
    haha, Val, and i'm always waiting to hear what you think of what i write! seriously, i keep checking back to see your comment! thank you soooo much for all your support <3

    simphanee wrote on Mar 8, '11, edited on Mar 8, '11
    heh heh..........Well, first off, I simply love how you wrote this from the
    Cat's mind. It would never have occurred to me to do that. Talking about death,
    like a journey you have no map for, from a Cat, is just enticing to me as a reader,
    as there is just no way, as I said, to anticipate what comes next!


    Then this.................just wonderful! I loved the experience!
    So fully unexpected............Hugs ya!


    and I wake up
    feeling old
    looking young
    with fake glassy shiny green eyes.
    I look for the old crooked fingers that never stop
    and find her,
    resting her oldness
    in the stench of a dead cat
    wrapped in a tangerine shawl...

    we both stumble
    down
    into a heaven,
    where I sc c cratch my eyes out
    and some old lady weaves them
    into a tale of
    tangerine dreams...

    simphanee wrote on Mar 8, '11
    You certainly inspire me to want to write poetry!

    simphanee wrote on Jan 26
    Hi NegiN! I am off work today and sitting here sharing some of your poems with my sister.
    She loves this one very much! I told her your writing so exciting to read, as I never know what
    to expect next from you. I will spend time looking at the ones I missed also. ☺
    You are an inspiriation to our creative hearts!
    Peace Darlin!

    ReplyDelete